Touchstone 1 | Operations Management homework help
- Think about a special occasion speech that you would like to present on a topic of your choice.
- The speech can be for any context and any length, but the purpose must be to commemorate an occasion. See the list of example occasions for inspiration.
- Download and answer each question in the Unit 1 Touchstone Template based on the speech you are thinking of: Touchstone1Template.doc
- Consider your audience, purpose, and thesis. Answer each of the questions related to audience, purpose, and thesis. Answer in detail, using complete sentences.
- Review the rubric to ensure that you understand how you will be evaluated. Contact a Sophia learning coach with any questions.
- Review the checklist and requirements to ensure that your Touchstone is complete.
- Submit your completed Unit 1 Touchstone Template on Sophia.
Touchstone Support Videos
Example Speech Occasions
- Speech at a graduation
- Toast at a wedding or other party
- Eulogy at a funeral
- Presenting an award for academic work (paper, research, report)
- Accepting an award for original creative work
- Speech at a community gathering (PTA meeting, boy/girl scout convention, town hall, homeowner’s association, athletic league, school board meeting, etc.)
- Celebrating staff at a company retreat
- Sharing a professional milestone
_ I have completed all aspects of the template.
_ I have answered each question using complete sentences.
_ My answers demonstrate thoughtful consideration of each question.
_ I have adhered to all of the length and formatting requirements.
_ I have read through the rubric and I understand how my Touchstone will be evaluated.
- Answer each question with 1 to 3 complete sentences
- Your responses should be 300 to 500 words in total
- All writing must be appropriate for an academic context
- Follow academic writing conventions (correct grammar, spelling, punctuation, and formatting)
- Composition must be original and written for this assignment; plagiarism of any kind is strictly prohibited
- Use a readable 12-point font, double-spaced with 1-inch margins
- Submission should include your name, the name of the course, the date, and the title of your composition
- Submit a single file only, including the answers to all questions
- Acceptable file formats include .doc and .docx.
ProficientAcceptableNeeds ImprovementNeeds Substantial Revision
Alignment: Special Occasion Speech
20 pointsPurpose, audience, and thesis are well aligned. If the intended message were delivered to the intended audience the targeted purpose would be achieved. Purpose, audience, and thesis are mostly aligned. If the intended message were delivered to the intended audience the targeted purpose would be partially achieved. Purpose, audience, and thesis are misaligned. If the intended message were delivered to the intended audience the targeted purpose would not be achieved.Purpose, audience, and thesis are absent or unclear.
20 pointsDemonstrates thoughtful reflection; frequently includes insights and details. Demonstrates correct understanding of audience, purpose, and message.Demonstrates a somewhat thoughtful reflection, but some responses are lacking in detail or insight with minor misunderstandings of audience, purpose, and/or message. Demonstrates limited reflection. Critical aspects of audience, purpose, and/or message are misunderstood.Answers are absent or very limited.
10 pointsMet all requirements (answered all questions, used 1-3 complete sentences for each question, wrote 300-500 words in total). Met two requirements (answered all questions, used 1-3 complete sentences for each question). However, the total length is between 200 to 300 words.Skipped one or two questions, did not always use complete sentences, or total length is under 200 words.Skipped three or more questions, primarily wrote in fragments, or total length is under 100 words.